Only 15 km. from Fethiye! In the near history, (before 1. world war.) in the village called Kaya or Kayaköy (Karmylassos), Greek people used to live in peace under the rule of the Ottoman Empire. There used to be about 3000 buildings, 5 doctors, 3 pharmacies, 1 school, 2 big churches, more than 10 small monastries. The settling of this village (the Greek settlement) date the 15th century. The small church downtown, dates 1888. The other church (the bigger one up the hill) said to be built before the small one.

In January 30 1923, there was a population exchange agreement between Turkish-Greek governments. According to this agreement, the Greek people living in Turkey would be sent to Greece and the Turkish people in Greece would be sent to Turkey. The Greek people here, by this agreement, went back to Greece; but the Turkish people living in Greece didn't want to come back to Turkey, because the Greek government did not want to pay the indemnity for any of the goods, lands, or the houses they owned in Greece. So that, the houses which were reserved for the Turkish residence, waited for a long time with allowing noone in. Later on, the big earthquakes that shaked Fethiye Region (especially the one in 1957), damaged the houses. That's why the old city is now looking like a ghost town.

Caferpasa Cad. No: 53/A • PoBox 260 - 48400 Bodrum - Mugla - TURKEY
Tel: +90.252.313 5506 • +90.252.313 0798 • Fax: +90.252.313 5507
atlas@atlasyachts.com • atlasbodrum@gmail.com